Brigham and Women’s Hospital Policies
Brigham and Women’s Hospital is working to create the safest environment for their patients and healthcare workers. Please see the policy updates below. We will continue to update this list as we receive more information. (last updated 8/23/21)
Universal COVID-19 Screening
All obstetrical patients being admitted to the hospital will be tested for COVID-19. If you are scheduled for a planned admission (eg planned c-section, pitocin induction, etc) you will receive a call from the Ambulatory Testing Team at BWH to schedule outpatient testing 24-48 hours prior to your admission to the hospital. If you are scheduled for cervical ripening at BWH prior to your pitocin induction, COVID-19 testing will be performed at that time.
Visitor Policies (No visitors under the age of 18 will be allowed during this time)
- OB Triage – You may have one visitor (over the age of 18) in OB triage at this time. Newborn infants are also allowed in OB triage for our post partum patients receiving care.
- Labor and Delivery – Two support persons are allowed.
- Post Partum – One support person is allowed. One additional visitor is allowed between 1 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- NICU – Two parents or guardians are allowed.
Visitors are expected to help keep our hospital a safe place for all patients, visitors and staff by:
- Wearing the provided mask at all times while visiting and making sure it covers both your nose and mouth completely
- Frequently washing your hands or using the hand sanitizer available
- Going directly to the patient’s room and staying in the room for your entire visit.
- Eating before or after your hospital visit. Visitors are not permitted to use the cafeteria, coffee shops and gift shop.
Family and friends who wish to learn about a patient’s status can call 617-732-5500. Immediate family are asked to please identify one primary family member to contact the patient’s nurse directly on the unit. Please note that patients have the right to limit access to information and condition. For more information, visit the BWH Visitor Policy site directly.
Educational Classes and Maternity Tours at BWH
Brigham and Women’s Hospital is also suspending all in-person maternity tours and BWH sponsored birthing classes at this time. Virtual educational classes are now available at BWH, visit their website to register.
You may still view an online version of the BWH Maternity Tour here.