Brigham and Women’s Hospital Policies
Brigham and Women’s Hospital is working to create the safest environment for their patients and healthcare workers. Please see the policy updates below. We will continue to update this list as we receive more information. (last updated 4/10/20)
Before and After Arriving at BWH to Delivery Your Baby
Please read this letter from BWH regarding labor and delivery policies for the upcoming weeks. The letter reviews what expect prior to your delivery and during your hospital day.
Universal COVID-19 Screening
Beginning on Saturday April 18, all obstetrical patients being admitted to the hospital will be tested for COVID-19. If you are scheduled for a planned admission (eg planned c-section, pitocin induction, etc) you will receive a call from the Ambulatory Testing Team at BWH to schedule outpatient testing 24 hours prior to your admission to the hospital.
- Unless you have a scheduled delivery (induction or cesarean delivery), the current recommendation is to have your support person drop you off and wait outside the hospital. The nursing team will inform you when your support person may join you in the hospital (after being admitted and settled into a private room).
- Only one visitor is permitted on the antepartum and postpartum floors. This is being implemented to mean that ONLY the one banded person can visit the postpartum patient.
- No visitors under the age of 18 will be allowed during this time
- BWH is not permitting sequential visitors, one at a time, to visit the same patient on CWN postpartum floors.
- To reduce the number of people entering the CWN, no support person is allowed in OB Triage.
- As of March 19, BWH is discontinuing valet services. Patients should please park at the 80 Francis Street or 45 Francis Street garages. Patients needing assistance ambulating will be directed to the 45 Francis Street garage where a member of the Valet Services team will assist them. Signage is placed at entrances.
Educational Classes and Maternity Tours at BWH
Brigham and Women’s Hospital is also suspending all in-person maternity tours and BWH sponsored birthing classes at this time. Virtual educational classes are now available at BWH, visit their website to register.
You may still view an online version of the BWH Maternity Tour here.